Being a student athlete: the work is worth it

Coach Shaman awards track athletes with runner-up and state championship rings

MCHS is home to many student athletes who constantly juggle school, their sports, social lives, and sometimes even a part-time job. Some athletes share the same views when it comes to how stressful their lifestyle is and how to best cope with the associated pressure.
Many high school athletes fell in love with and started playing their respective sports at a very young age and have stuck with those sports throughout their high school careers.
Captain of the girls basketball team, senior Madison Evans, said, “It really feels like I have been playing sports since the day I was born. I cannot remember a time that I was not involved in something athletic. Being naturally athletic helped me never question my involvement.”
Sports for student athletes often becomes more of a lifestyle rather than just a hobby.
Volleyball player and senior Alexis Biggers said, “Being an athlete does not leave a lot of spare time to socialize when in comparison to non-athletes. While it seems like everyone is out hanging with friends and participating in other fun activities, I have practices and games to attend.”
Being involved in any sport at MCHS requires countless hours of hard work and dedication outside of school hours.
“Balancing my school work and my athletics is the hardest thing about being an athlete,” said a freshman cheerleader, Bridget Mark.
A junior swimmer, Ali Hakim, stated, “The hardest thing about being an athlete to me is going back to practice everyday. I am so tired after morning practice and a school day, and going to swim practice usually does not make it any better.”
Being a “student athlete,” though, means recognizing that a good student status is of the utmost importance. Maintaining a decent GPA of 1.5 is required of all student athletes in order to be eligible to keep participating in the sport of their choice.
“My GPA is a 3.5. I have always been someone to put my grades first; school is forever at the top of my priority list,” said Meghan Miller, a sophomore gymnast.
More often than not, pressure is also added to student athletes in the form of friends and family and the expectations they set.
         Junior, basketball player, Marissa Workman, said, “My family definitely has higher expectations of me as an athlete. I am expected to set a good example for my school, and that means to do the very best I can in both school and athletics.”
With all this stress, it seems as though it would only be fair if student athletes gave up in some area of their lives, however, it is the love for what they do that continues to push them towards their other, non-athletic goals in life.
         Michael McCullough, the starting quarterback and a junior, said, “Being involved in sports can get someone a lot of things. I am a just a better person because of football. My drive to get better and better everyday on and off the [football] field is truly my favorite part about being an athlete.”
“I love sports. There are so many benefits like staying healthy and being part of team. There is also the bond with my teammates, and I would not trade that for anything,” said Alexandra Pomeroy, sophomore varsity soccer player.
Student athletes undergo stress almost everyday, but, to them, cherishing the good moments makes it worth it all.
         Senior bowler, Braxton Hervey stated, “There is no better feeling than when I challenge myself and then am able to recognize my improvements when I finally win and accomplish the goal I had set for myself.”