Amazing Moments in Sports

Jack Smith, News Reporter

This has been one crazy winter for sports. There have been crazy comebacks that nobody expected, there have been victories that have made players into champions, and there has just been overall an amazing time in sports history.

The last calendar sports year has been a year of the comebacks. The Chicago Cubs came back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series, the Cleveland Cavaliers came back from a 3-1 deficit to win the NBA Championship, and Villanova scored a clutch three to beat North Carolina at the last second in the NCAA Men’s Basketball Finals. So why wouldn’t 2017 start off the same way. The New England Patriots and the Atlanta Falcons recently battled in the 51 annual Super Bowl. At the end of the first quarter the score was still tied at 0-0. However, in the second quarter the Falcons started to gain some momentum and scored three touchdowns while the Patriots only scored a field goal. At halftime the score was 21-3 with Atlanta putting a beating on the Patriots. The third quarter looked the same as the previous two with Atlanta scoring another touchdown. The Patriots scored a touchdown as well but they missed the extra point. The score at the end of the third quarter was 28-9, with the Falcons still up. If you know Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, and the rest Patriots, though, the game is not over until the clock runs out. They have determination, like no other. They started to slowly but surely comeback from the deficit. They scored a field goal followed by two touchdowns with two two-point conversions. And just like that the game was now tied at 28-28. It was the most remarkable comeback in Super Bowl history. It was the first overtime Super Bowl ever and the Patriots had the momentum all on their side. They then won the coin toss and got the ball first in overtime. They were able to march down the field and score the game winning touchdown. While this was very saddening for the Falcons it was nothing short of a miracle for the Patriots.

The other amazing feat that happened this winter was Serena Williams winning her 23 Grand Slam in women’s professional tennis. This puts her 1 shy of the record of 24 Grand Slams, set by Margaret Court, which is the most since the start of the open era. Serena Williams was also the oldest women, 35, to win a Grand Slam. What other way to win the title, she was in the final of the Australian Open against her sister Venus Williams. The two sister have been on top of the tennis world since the late 1990’s and early  2000’s. Serena is one of the best players to ever play the game. This is just another accomplishment on her resume.

This year is setting up to be one of the most exciting years of sports entertainment in history. Everyone is very excited for everything to come and it should be fun.