MCHS boys’ bowling team has a tremendous season

Head coach, Chase Coleman honored as Coach of the Year by Post-Tribune

MCHS boys' bowling team poses after state finals

Josh Bowman

Josh Bowman

Megan Grams, Sports Reporter

The MCHS Boy’s Bowling Team has had a tremendous 2016-2017 season. The boys have lived by one phrase this entire season, “survive and advance.” Surviving and advancing through Sectionals, Regionals, and Semi-State and then leaving it all on the lanes at State was the goal for the Wolves this season; the plan was a success. Many would say that the Wolves were the underdogs this season, but they definitely showed their worth in the postseason. The Wolves brought home the Sectional title, they finished third at Regionals, fourth at Semi-State, and second at the State Finals. 

Individually having a very great post season, especially for it being his senior year, Braxton Hervey made it far into the post season. Hervey  placed third in Sectionals and fourteenth in Regionals advancing onto Semi State. Unfortunately, Semi State was where Hervey’s  individual season came to a close, but he did reach a goal of making it to the State Finals this season as a team.

Along with having a very successful post season, the Wolves are also 4-time Lakeshore Conference Champions. The team also performed well at high school tournaments throughout the season. Placing 2nd at the Region Rumble held in Michigan City, and placing 3rd at the Baker Challenge held in Highland. The Wolves had two bowlers named All Conference honors, Lucas Grams and Dean Lykins. The team also had two bowlers on the Second Team All Region, Grams and Lykins. Grams also led the conference in high series (556) and high average (222). Lykins tied in the conference for high game (290).

Senior Lucas Grams in his back swing, ready to throw the ball down the lane.

Photo credit: Josh Bowman

Unfortunately, the team is losing three seniors next year: Braxton Hervey, Dean Lykins, and Lucas Grams. These three contributed to the team in many ways whether just being a positive teammate or striking when the team needed it, these seniors were the glue to the Wolves’ lineup this season.

Sarah Grams
Seniors pose with the three coaches after state finals

Although the team is losing three amazing seniors  the Wolves have talented underclassmen prepared to step up next season. Sophomore Chris Wilson, and junior Ryan Heckman have stepped up this season tremendously. Wilson ended the season averaging 200 and Heckman finished with 200 also. These two bowlers helped the lineup throughout postseason, definitely stepping up and helping when a teammate was having an off-day.

Josh Bowman
Sophomore Chris Wilson relaxes before he throws a ball during state finals.

The ride throughout postseason was awfully emotional for the players and especially for head coach, Chase Coleman. Coleman was apart of the 2010 state championship team and coaching the boys’ team along the way brought on many memories from his experience 7 years ago. Senior Lucas Grams also had an emotional postseason especially since he watched older brother, Jacob Grams bowl anchor for the state championship team in 2010. “It felt like I was following in his footsteps and living up to his legacy as an anchor bowler,” said senior Lucas Grams.

Sarah Grams
Coach Coleman and senior Lucas Grams pose with the State Runners Up trophy

Although it was Coleman’s first year as head coach, the team thought he did a tremendous job with the team. “I think Chase did an amazing job for his first year as head coach, he always pushed us because he saw potential in all of us,” said sophomore Chris Wilson. Recently, Coleman was honored Post-Tribune Boys Bowling Coach of the Year due to his tremendous job as a coach his first year. “I feel so incredibly honored to be named Coach of the Year, especially since it was my first year as head coach,” said Coleman.

With this bowling season coming to a close, the seniors and the team especially are happy with how this season has ended. The Wolves are excited to be back on the lanes next season.

I feel that after my 4 years of bowling on the MCHS bowling team I have completed my goal of going to the state tournament and I would not have rather completed this goal with any other group of bowlers.”

— senior Braxton Hervey