Diving into Sectionals

The girls’ swim team poses for a picture at sectionals
Photo Credit: Donna Tubbs

The girls’ swim team poses for a picture at sectionals Photo Credit: Donna Tubbs

Emily Gushrowski, Sports Reporter

Girls’ swimming and diving sectionals took place on Saturday, February 4.

The preliminaries for swimming were Thursday, February 2. There, the top 16 in each event advance to the sectional finals. The sectional finals has two heats of each event. The constellation round, which is heat one, and the final heat (heat 2). The winners in the final heat place on the podium and receive ribbons. Almost all of the Lady Wolves made it to the sectional finals, but, none of them advanced to state.

“Competing in the final heat was intense,” said Sophomore Sarah Hyska. “It was a great experience no matter what place I got.”

Senior, Hannah Tubbs broke the 100 backstroke record in the preliminaries. She is very proud of the 400 freestyle relay, which dropped 10 seconds in their time from the middle of season. Tubbs, who broke the record for the 100 backstroke, will miss the team next year and the memories of singing and dancing in the locker room with her team.

“It felt absolutely amazing to break the record. When I first finished my race, I thought I did way worse than what I actually did. I was beyond happy when I looked up at the time,” said Tubbs.”

Freshman, Dania Duenas is the lone freshman on the girls’ swim team. She did not expect much out of sectionals, but she knew there was going to be a lot more competition than what she was used to. Duenas is looking forward to improving each year.

“At first, I felt nervous to swim my first sectional, but I had my team there right beside me and they helped me loosen up a bit. After that, I calmed down,” said Duenas.

Hyska will miss all of the seniors and the times they had together.

“I grew up with almost all of them, and it is going to be a major change when they leave next year,” Hyska shared.

The divers finished their season off strong in sectionals. Freshman, Mira McDaniel did well for her first diving sectional. Unfortunately, no one advanced, but the team thought that they did their best and will come back even better next year.

“With hard work, I think Mira and I have a good chance at going undefeated next year,” said Sophomore Alyssa Mannaioni.

Mannaioni feels that she learned a lot this year and was glad to have had the opportunity to make friendships with her teammates and the La Porte divers.

“It is great to learn from your mistakes. As a diver, you take risks and sometimes mistakes. You learn from them and become a better and stronger diver,” said Mannaioni.

The girls’ season may be over, but they plan on supporting the boys’ team at their sectionals as well.