MCHS Athletics having a successful year

Drew Hanft, Sports Reporter

The 2016-17 school year has been quite an exciting year so far in athletics at Michigan City High School.  While in the past Michigan City has been looked at as the “doormat” of the Duneland Athletic Conference, the past few years and this year especially the Wolves have flexed their muscles in many different sports.   

The football team and volleyball team kicked off the year of athletics at MCHS on a very high note this past fall.  Both the football and volleyball team made offseason coaching changes and it seemed to highly benefit both programs.

Phil Mason came from Andrean High School with many accolades and accomplishments under his belt and completely changed the culture for Michigan City football. The Wolves tied the school record in wins with 7 and just 4 losses and advanced to the sectional championship against Mishawaka High School.  

TR Harlan was another new coach that came to City with a very impressive resume from Chesterton High School.  The volleyball team made excellent strides throughout the year while becoming a power of the DAC while finishing the year with a 26-8 record and also earned 9 wins in conference play.  

This winter, Michigan City’s basketball teams and bowling teams have also dominated their competition.  The boys basketball team is looking to continue their winning ways after posting an 18-6 regular season which is the school record in wins for the program.  The Wolves are riding a four game winning streak after defeating state power Valparaiso in the opening round of sectionals.  The girls basketball team also made great strides this season under head coach Mike Megysee and turned in a very respectable 13-9 record.  

The boys bowling team won their fourth consecutive Lakeshore Conference title and made it all the way to the state meet where they finished as the second best bowling team in the state of Indiana.  The spring will bring in much more high quality competition and success for Michigan City High School.