Welcome Freshmen Class Officers

Freshmen Class Officers: Left to Right Standing- Representatives Mary Duenas, Destyne Pam, Sally Bibb and Secretary Makayla Williams Sitting- Vice-President Madison Perry and President Courtney Morton
Tamira Hall
Freshmen Class Officers: Left to Right
Standing- Representatives Mary Duenas, Destyne Pam, Sally Bibb and Secretary Makayla Williams
Sitting- Vice-President Madison Perry and President Courtney Morton

With a new school year ahead along comes a new group of freshmen, class of 2018. The newest class of Michigan City High School only had two weeks to prepare for elections but the students started right away. Running for President and Vice-President were Nicole Ginther and Korbin Williams, Ali Hakim and Courtney Hart, Reagan Lowry and Megan Mullins, Courtney Morton and Madison Perry, and Tommy Callaghan and Jenna Stevenson. It was a very close race but Courtney Morton and Madison Perry came out on top. Makayla Williams, the only candidate for class secretary, was announced as the winner. The three representatives are Sally Bibb, Destyne Pam, and Nancy Duenas. All representatives ran unopposed.

In order to run for office, the nominees had to receive a minimum of 75 student signatures from their class and signatures from the class sponsors, be in good standing with the school so far, obtain a 3.5 grade point average (GPA), and attend at least three Student Council meetings and 50% of class events. “I’m going to run class of 2018 like Obama runs the United States of America,” proudly exclaimed Morton, “I have big dreams that I plan to accomplish as president.” Morton ran for president because she wants to make a change. She also thinks it will look very good on college applications.

Courtney Morton really wants to get involved with her class this school year. “I do not want to be one of those seniors in high school that regret not getting involved. I`ve always felt like a leader so I want to put my thoughts into action and make class of 2018 the best class to graduate at MCHS,” says class President Courtney Morton. President Morton and her Vice-President, Madison Perry, have been best friends since the first grade. “We make a great team,” mentioned Perry, “Our plans mainly consist of making sure that the freshmen voice is heard. We want to make sure that MCHS know that even though we may be underclassmen, we can still make a difference.” Congratulations to the winners of the freshmen class elections. Class sponsors Mrs. Gresham and Mrs. Kohler.