Welcome to Deutschklub

From left to right: Cece Latchford, Lizzie Quinlan, Kristen Palmer, and Drew Hultgren

German club teaches students a lot more than just speaking the language. German students go on fieldtrips to learn more about the culture, eat typical German foods, and learn about different holidays.

This month in particular has holidays and celebrations going on throughout Germany. East and West Germany were unified on October 3, 1990 this is a major holiday celebrated. Oktoberfest also a major holiday starts in the end of September and goes to the beginning of October. Oktoberfest was started to celebrate the marriage of Price Ludwig and Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen on 12th October, 1810.

Herr Ruth teaches German students about the history of holidays such as Oktoberfest. Two of the most popular foods in Germany during Oktoberfest are pretzels and sausages.
To incorporate Oktoberfest in German Club, the students eat different foods that may be seen throughout Germany during the celebrations.

In this month, all German classes had pancakes with pieces of apple cooked in, and had powdered sugar on top. The current positions for German Club are Kristen Palmer as President, Cece Latchford as Vice President, Drew Hultgren as Secretary, and Lizzie Quinlan as Treasurer. The homecoming candidate from German Club was Kristen Palmer.

Along with foods, students listen to traditional German music, some for celebrations, and some for German children. To improve translating German, students break down the songs and translate them to English. Lots of Christmas music is played throughout December. Students learn these songs, and sing them frequently.

Traditional German games are also played throughout the year.
One game that is played often is Rechts Links, which translates to right left. This game helps students with thinking of and translating numbers quickly. Many other traditional games are also played throughout the year.

“I enjoy German Club because we get to learn more about German culture and traditions,” said Cece Latchford.

Some holidays that are celebrated besides Oktoberfest are Silvester, which translates to New Year’s Eve, St. Nikolaus Tag, also known as St. Nicholas Day, Weihnachten, or Christmas, and Valentinstag, or Valentine’s Day.

Weihnachten is celebrated a lot in German club. Students have the chance to go on a fieldtrip to Chicago in December. This trip happens yearly, and everyone has a wonderful time. Students go to the Goethe Institute to learn more about German culture. Everyone then heads to German Town where they eat a traditional German lunch at the Hofbrauhaus. There, students can order Wienershnitzel. Some students go to a bakery right after and get pastries for dessert.

Students finish the day shopping at the Christkindlmarket. Here, students can buy traditional German foods, wooden figures, and handmade ornaments.

Kristen Palmer said, “My favorite part of German Club is the yearly fieldtrip we take to Chicago.”

Students in German also enjoy making and coloring shoes for St. Nicholas Day. The shoes are left out overnight, and St. Nicholas leaves a treat in everyone’s shoes for the next day. Candy and cookies are generally found in the shoes.

For Valentine’s Day students make Valentine’s cards out of colored paper. They include their favorite German sayings on the cards, and some even add a touch of glitter.

Every year, students in German Club sell advent calenders to raise money for food that is made for all German classes.
Advent calendars are popular in many German homes, so it is a large fundraiser for the students.

German Club lets students learn about the culture, history, learning about traditions and holidays, and trying different foods.