City’s Sound

Tamira Hall

Band Director with symphonic band

The annual band and choir concert at Michigan City High School was held on October 16th, 2014 at 7pm in the school’s auditorium.
“Concerts give our students the opportunity to perform for various audiences,” said choir director Mrs. Howisen. “Performances are part of the music curriculum,” added Mr. Ford, who has been the MCHS band director for 8 years.
Ford also said, “We teach the students basic fundamentals and the development of performance skills in the classroom.” “These concerts show the members of our community the progress of their learning.”
Featured in the concert for choir were Beginners Boys and Girls Choir, Intermediate Girls Choir, Concert Choir, Treble Chorale, and also City Singers. Choir classes performed the songs Gloria Festiva, The Arrow and the Song,
A Classic Kyrie, Didn’t My Lord Deliver Daniel, Pie Jesv, Fire, Jesv Joy of Man’s Desire, Let Your Heart Be Joyful, and Rock Me Lord.
“When I was given this opportunity to sing a solo I saw it as a chance to show off my individuality and standout. I’m in Choir because I love to sing and these concerts prove to me that I am doing a great job,” exclaimed senior and choir soloist Debra Whitlow.
Soloists included Debra Whitlow and Christian Toney in Rock Me Lord. The band classes featured in the concert were Symphonic Band, Marching Band, and a combination of Cadet and Concert Band.
Marching Band performed the songs RENT, Without You, and Seasons of Love.
Symphonic Band performed Flourish for Wind Band, Highlights from “Robin Hood,” and Into the Storm.
Combined Cadet and Concert Band performed Cedar Crest March, Lightening!, and Streets of Madrid. Marching Band soloists include Mellophone player Suzanne Kaiser and Colorguard members Tia Majied and Hannah Tubbs in the song Without You.
For Seasons of Love, Marching Band, Soloists were Saxophone player Jaelyn Nowatzke and Colorguard captains Rebecca Richmond and Tia Majied.
Colorguard coach Trisha Laughlin thanks MCHS for letting guard perform at the concert.
The annual band and choir concert was a major success! Mrs. Howisen and Mr. Ford says, “Thank you to everyone that came out to the concert to support MCHS students and
listen to the pieces that the students spent weeks working on.” “We hope you enjoyed the concert.”