French Club at It’s Finest

Jasica Twardus

Bonjour, comment allez-vous? Every French class starts off with this friendly greeting. Students who excel in the course and wish to indulge in its depths pursue French Club. As it is open to all grades, anyone could join. It is a simple decision that could have a huge impact if taken! French club can introduce any student to a new way of life. Who wouldn’t want to familiarize themselves with a culture that emphasizes love, meals that last hours, and who could forget, that lovely accent.
French club has seen many interesting years. Amongst the most recent, several Chicago bound field trips were made priorities. Being a city of diverse culture, Chicago has immense opportunities for those who wish to dwell in foreign lifestyles. Senior, Heather Kizer, recalls eating at a French restaurant and visiting the Water Tower. One particular aspect, that highlights this trip would be practically missing the train! “Madame Callaway was waving her French flag in the air as the entire French club sprinted after her! I’ll never forget that trip.”
Even though these past years seem eventful, this year’s French club has come off to a dashing start. Plans have been brainstormed and eagerly concocted. . Delving into the busy itinerary, major events can be pulled out. One of which would be visiting the Art Institute of Chicago. Amongst the masterpieces, famous French artists can be pinpointed. A hotspot of the museum would include the impressionist collection featuring several French artists. Some of whom the French IV class has studied this very year. In fact, the very painting hanging in Madame Eldridge’s room, A Sunday on La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat, can be found at the Art Institute. Another interesting event planned is viewing a play! This year the French Club intends on attending the Beauty and the Beast. This will give members an opportunity to test out their language skills and see if they interpret the well known tale.
As with every club, fundraisers are a must. Between field trips and the donuts enjoyed at each meeting, club members need to work hand in hand to garner d’argent (money.) In no time, the annual flow of students lugging around Fannie May boxes will be a common sight seen in the hallways. In addition to this tradition, fundraisers tied in with French holidays will add a different taste, hopefully a sweet one, to the routine flavors. One prospective holiday is le poisson d’avril. This holiday directly translates to “April Fish” and is celebrated on April first. Similar to America’s April Fool’s day, the French celebrate by secretly plotting a paper fish on their victim’s back. If this holiday is used for fundraising purposes, Swedish fish would be used in place of the actually creature.
This year’s fundraisers will also prompt opportunities of greater involvement. French Club president, Senior Ruth Serrano, ecstatically explains that she wishes to prepare future club leaders for next year, “I want to emphasize further interest in the language, the club, and relationships with members of the club.” She plans to do this by offering leadership positions within the fundraisers. By doing this, she hopes students will gain the experience they need to excel in the coming year. “We want French club to grow with every year, the whole school will know what ‘l’amour de langue’ (love of language) is.”

Pictured here is A Sunday on La Grande Jatte—1884 by Georges Seurat.  It will be one of the works on show at the Art Institute of Chicago.  Source:http://www.artic.edu/aic/exhibitions/seurat/seurat_themes.html
Pictured here is A Sunday on La Grande Jatte—1884 by Georges Seurat. It will be one of the works on show at the Art Institute of Chicago. Source:http://www.artic.edu/aic/exhibitions/seurat/seurat_themes.html