Showing Our Gratitude

Michigan City High School JROTC colorguard at the Veterans Day assembly

Tamira Hall, Feature Reporter

Veterans Day is the celebration of people who have served in the United States Armed Forces. In November of 1919, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed November 11 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day, also known as Veterans Day.
President Wilson said “To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…”
On Veterans Day there is a moment of silence given for our fallen soldiers at 11:00am. Many people spend Veterans Day with the Veterans in their family. “My family and I go over to my great uncle’s house on Veterans Day. We cook a big dinner for my uncle and we then clean his house and take him to the movies,” said freshman Tiara Stokes, “My uncle fought in the Veterans War. During the war he lost both of his legs. So we do those things for him to show him that we appreciate him almost losing his life while fighting for our right to live in America,” Stokes continued.
The Veterans Day National Ceremony is held each year on November 11 at Arlington National Cemetery. The ceremony starts at approximately 11:00 a.m. with a wreath laying at the Tomb of the Unknowns and continues inside the Memorial Amphitheater with a parade of colors by veterans’ organizations and remarks from dignitaries.
The Ceremony is intended to honor and thank all who served in the US Armed Forces. The Veterans Day National committee also selects a number of regional sites for Veterans Day observances throughout the country. On Veterans Day, the student body and staff at Michigan City High School had an assembly honoring our Veterans. The schools JROTC drill team performed, along with their color guard members. The MCHS choir and symphonic band also performed.