Winter Sports : Back in Action

Tinon Hunter, Sports' Writer

MC_Wolves_logoWinter Sports: Back in Action

After nine long months MCHS winter sports are back in full effect and ready to dominate this season in swimming, basketball, bowling, and gymnastics. With new additions to each team the Wolves are looking to destroy every team, especially LaPorte.

Senior girls’ basketball player Michal Miller, who averaged 20.5ppg last year and Raven Wood, who averaged 13ppg both agree that they are looking forward to winning more games this season because we have more experience and skilled players along with two good additional transfers Jarieh Ratliff (Calumet) and Tinon Hunter (Gary Westside). After two and a half years since their last sectional championship, the Lady Wolves are looking to capture the title this season. Coach Megyese realizes he has a talented group this season and he believes they could win the DAC.

After falling short to the Wolves rival LaPorte in the Valparaiso Class 4A Boys Sectional Championship, senior boys’ basketball player Shayne Barron said, “I am looking forward to making the trip again and beating the LaPorte Slicers in the regular season and sectional championship game.” Barron also mentioned “There will be a smaller but a more defensive threat with the addition of sophomore Donte’ Combs along with six seniors and raw underclassmen talent.” Senior Michael Miller said “I am looking forward to proving everybody wrong and showing everybody what we are capable of.”

With a new coach and one new freshman, senior gymnast Ashley Koza says, “I am excited to have Coach Rieser as a new coach and I believe were going to make it to state with the talent of this year’s team”. The gymnastics team has a new freshman and returning injured player Jenna Milcarek and Meagan Gushrowski. Junior Kristen Gushrowski said with excitement “I am ready to compete at home and we are striving to become a stronger team”.

After going to semi-state and winning the DAC during the 2013-14 bowling season, senior Sam Welch is looking to make a repeat with the addition of new varsity players Michael Hebb and Jalen Stockley. Senior Sam Welch said, “We are more motivated and we work better as a team.” He believes they are going to win sectionals but the ultimate goal is to make it to state and win.

Sophomore girls’ swimmer Hannah Tubbs has noticed there is a lot less girls than last year’s team, but she is still excited to start her sophomore year off with a new coach, and is also ready for the bus rides. Tubbs said, “I think having a new coach is going to be good for the team, I feel that he is going to make us better as a whole.” Tim Schoof, who is a part of the boys’ swim team, is thrilled to have a new addition to the team, freshman Ali Hakim. Schoof made it clear that he wants to win sectionals and become a state finalist.