Miller Time

Tinon Hunter, Sports' Writer

michael

When asked who was the most improved senior on the team this year MCHS boys’ basketball Coach Boyd did not hesitate to say “Mike”.

“I’m open to all criticism because I know it will only make me better.” Michael mentioned “My high school career at MCHS has not been the easiest. I have had nothing close to an easy flow during high school. I have endured many endeavors which led me to be lost.”

Mike transferred in the middle of his sophomore year from Marquette Catholic School to Michigan City High School.

“I’m just trying to prove everyone wrong.” Mike is a senior this year. While maintaining a 3.4 grade point average Mike made it clear that “being a senior student athlete is not easy. We practice six days a week and 4 hours a day excluding morning practices.”

Because of his ineligibility from transferring schools during sectionals time Mike did not play his sophomore year and he also was not on the starting line up during his junior year.

Although Mike mentioned “starting is not everything.” One of his goals for his senior season was to be in the starting lineup.

After all of his hard work and dedication he has worked his way into the 2014-15 starting lineup along with his fellow teammates Troy Jones, Shanquan Hemphill, Jaronde Boyd, and Brad Pawloski.

“I want to get closer and obtain fluent chemistry between my teammates and coaches. It is imperative that we are on the same page in order for us to make a superior name for Michigan City Boys’ Basketball” said Mike Miller.

Sophomore Troy Jones and Shaquan Hemphill who are both on MCHS boys’ basketball team up with Miller both agreed that “Mike is a hard working basketball player and he gives his all on and off the basketball court.”

While majority of MCHS boys’ basketball players have only played a few years with Mike, fellow senior classmate Shayne Barron said, “I’ve been playing basketball with Mike since we were little kids and he does whatever it takes to win.”

While his season is already in full effect according to Mike, “I need to improve my stats all-around and become more of a leader. I want to win sectionals and make it to state my senior year.” With his first two games already out of the way Michael scored 14 points and grabbed 5 rebounds in the season opener against Concord and scored 18 points against Gary Westside.

Miller realizes that coming from a big family means high expectations. “Coming from a massive family of five brother and eight sisters, it is important that my twin Michal and I continue on the high path to becoming successful leaders in our society.”

His twin sister Michal Miller who signed to Division I University of Arizona in the beginning of November it is no big secret that she wanted to comment on her brother Mike. “Mike and I are really close and I know he is a hard worker and he loves the game of basketball. He will do anything to win. The gym is his second home.”

While basketball is not the only thing on his mind Michael plans to attend college and study law, accounting, or business management and further his basketball career. Although he has not shared what school he will be attending he made it clear that “wherever I go I am going to play basketball.”