One City One Sound: Bringing Michigan City Together

Destiny Harvel, Feature Reporter

Music connects people, and that is exactly what Michigan City has been doing for the past eight years.

One City One Sound is a city-wide concert held every year in the MCHS gymnasium.
This year the event was held on December 4 and featured many different choirs and bands from all eleven Michigan City Area Schools.

There was no admittance fee but The Salvation Army collected canned good donations and many donations were received.

Associate superintendent, Xavier Botana, opened the program by thanking all of the students and teachers involved along with Mayor, Ron Meer, all of the technology and film crew, and the planning committee that helped make the event possible.
To kick off this night of Christmas themed music was the combined bands and choirs with “It’s the Holiday Season” by Roger Emerson and John Moss. This performance was followed by many others from the elementary, middle, and high school band and choir students.

Some others were selections from The Polar Express, performed by the Symphonic band and directed by Quincy Ford, and “Various Themes on “Fa-La-La” ”, performed by City Singers and directed by Michelle Howisen.
The City Ringers Bell Choir were decked out in ugly Christmas sweaters. The Treble Choir wore purple dresses and the rest of the high schoolers were dressed in black and white.

The middle school choirs performed “S.A.N.T.A” by Louis Brownsey and Marti Lantz. This performance included students dressed as Santa Clause and elves, along with holding up letters to spell out Santa.

The night came to a close with some final words from Botana and a final performance of “Christmas Finale” from the combined bands and choirs.
The city definitely came together to appreciate the great amount of talent in the students of Michigan City.

The night would not have been possible without the help of the all the music teachers.

The elementary school music teachers Jeanne Bolen, Steve Chambers, Revita Durtineviciute, Elizabeth Gast, Richard Liwosz, Rudth Radke, Laurie Rockenseuss, Julie Schmidt, and Kendra Willis. The middle school music teachers Shirley Allen, Derek Meilander, George Olson, and Stephanie Sobecki. The high school music teachers Quincy Ford, Michelle Howisen, and Allison Snyder.