Opener proves wolf pack is ready to attack

Lindsey Jackson, Sports Reporter

During Thanksgiving break our Michigan City Wolves Boys’ and Girls’ basketball teams hosted their home openers.
The girls hosted Portage at the Wolves’ Den on Friday November 28th and managed to bring home a victory with a final score of 54-25 defeating the Indians.
Senior Michal Miller stated, “Our first game was okay. We struggled a little in the beginning, but we got control and grabbed the momentum of the game and we captured the win.”
The girls currently have a record of 3-0.
Junior Lauren Slisher said, “We want to accomplish three goals this season. Those goals are to beat La Porte, win a sectional title, and become the DAC champs, but overall we just want to have a winning record and make this season a fun one for our seniors. ”
They are definitely taking the opportunity to redeem themselves after being defeated by the Indians last season.
Senior Raven Wood said, “Last year was very tough, with only four wins and zero DAC victories, many teams considered us a nonfactor for this year. With this being our last year, we feel that it is very important that we redeem ourselves and show teams that we are very capable of winning it all.”
Our boys’ hosted Concord on Saturday November 29th. They had a very close game but they managed to bring home the victory with a final score of 60-54.
Junior ShanQuan Hemphill stated, “I feel that we did well for the first game, but we are better than the way we played on Saturday night. We will come back stronger and stronger each game. Our goal is to go undefeated this year.”
With most of the starting line-up consisting of mostly sophomores and seniors, the Wolves are expecting to have a great season. The boys are set to go up against a lot of difficult competition this season.
Sophomore Jaronde Boyd said, “I am most excited about the Chesterton game because I feel like they are our biggest competition in the DAC. I am also looking forward to the Crown Point game because they have a really good team this year. It will be a great game of basketball.”
The Wolves are also going to compete against the Class 4A state champions, Arsenal Tech.
With the loss to the La Porte Slicers in the DAC sectional championship last season, the Wolves are highly anticipating the DAC sectionals this year.
Senior Zach Stewart stated, “We want to accomplish something that has not been done in twenty plus years, and that is to win a sectional title. I feel like this is the year that we can do that. I have faith in our team.”
We have an extreme amount of talent on both of our boys’ and girls’ teams this year, and both teams have a lot to look forward to.