Looking back at last year

2014 was an exciting year for the high school, in the United States, and around the world. Our sports teams worked their hardest, and many teams won different titles. Teams that won sectional titles include boys golf and girls tennis. The boys cross country team qualified for semi state. Claire Werner and Thespina Dabagia qualified for regionals in girls golf. Wrestling also had a boy qualify for regionals. The boys track and field team had many boys that qualified for regionals. The girls track and field team also had a few girls qualify for regionals.

Some athletes also qualified for state. The qualifiers were Tim Schoof for boys swimming, Ashley Koza for gymnastics, and Jasmine McLemore for girls track. Michigan City High School Football team also won against our rivals, LaPorte for the homecoming game.2014 also included the 20 World Cup which was held in Brazil which Germany won. The Winter Olympics was also held, and it was in Sochi, Russia. Ray Rice was the most searched athlete on Google last year.

Sophomore Kate Kovalcik said, “My favorite part of 2014 was being able to be a part of Michigan City High School’s volleyball team and making new friends because of it.”

Junior Rodrigo Serrano said, “My favorite part of 2014 was hanging out on my friend’s boat over the summer with some of my teammates.”

Along with sports, entertainment was also very popular. Billboard named “Happy” by Pharrell Williams as the most popular song of last year. Billboard also named Katy Perry as the most popular artist of the year. They also named Iggy Azalea the top new artist of the year. Frozen was the top soundtrack from last year.
The top male artist was Justin Timberlake, and the top song on the radio was “All of Me” by John Legend. Guardians of the Galaxy was the most popular movie according to the box office.

According to Google, Robin Williams was the most searched on the internet. The most searched wedding was Kim Kardashian and Kanye West. The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge was also very popular last year. ALS raised the most money of any cause last year. Over $115 million was donated to help ALS do research. Many celebrities participated and posted videos online. Celebrities include Lady Gaga, Oprah Winfrey, Jennifer Lopez, and Robert Downey Jr.

On March 8th Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 lost contanct and disappeared, which had 239 passangers on it. The search for the plane ended up being the most expensive search effort in history. ISIS, an Islamic state in Iraq and Syria, also made a very large mark this year. Several videos were posted on the internet letting the world know what they are doing.

Last year the United States had record breaking cold weather in the Midwest, and record breaking warm weather in California. This year was very exciting, especially in our school. Hopefully 2015 is just as great.