Boys swimming wins against DAC

Drew Hanft, Sports Reporter

The Michigan City boys swimming team kicked off their season in winning fashion on Tuesday, December 2 by defeating county rival LaPorte High School by a tally of ninety-two to ninety-one.  The Wolves traveled to LaPorte looking to start the season with a huge first win over their rivals.

The Wolves were highlighted by the performance of junior Tim Schoof.  Schoof placed first in 3 different events including the 200 meter medley, the 100 meter butterfly, and the 400 meter free relay.  Sophomore relay teammate David Duenas praised Schoof’s performance calling him “the best swimmer on the team.”

The 400 meter relay team is made up by Marshall DeBone, Tim Schoof, David Duenas, and Ali Hakim.  Freshman Ali Hakim capped off his first career high school meet by adding a first place finish in the 50 meter freestyle to go along with the relay victory.  Duenas spoke highly of Hakim saying “He is only a freshman and he is a guy who is really up there scoring a lot of points for us.”

City also picked up one more relay victory in the 200 meter medley on count to Ali Hakim, Tim Schoof, Mohammad Hakim and Duenas. The Wolves finished this race with a time of 1:43.31.  The boys give credit to their coach for helping them grind out the tough win.  “He has been working us harder than we ever have been.  I am expecting a lot of really good results this season and for our relay to make our way down to state with the hard training he is giving us.  As much as I am suffering at practice, I am more than happy to have him as our coach” said Duenas.

The Wolves were without one of their top sprint swimmers in sophomore Ethan Hyska who was injured at practice the day before the meet.   The boys will look to build off of their first victory and carry this momentum going into the rest of the season.  “We didn’t give up and were able to pull of the exciting win.  I am very proud of everyone on this team” said Duenas.

The boys will look to build off their first DAC victory and continue with their winning ways.