Swimming represents at State

Drew Hanft, Sports Reporter

The Michigan City boys swimming team capped off an excellent season on the weekend of February 27-28 at the Indiana State finals at Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). The Wolves sent two relay teams made up of five City swimmers to Indianapolis to compete for the state crown. These teams included the 200 medley relay team of sophomore David Duenas, freshman Ali Hakim, junior Tim Schoof, and junior Mohammad Hakim. The 200 meter medley relay finished with a time 1:38.95 which was good enough for 19th place. In addition to the 200 medley was the 400 free relay team made up of Duenas, Ali Hakim, Tim Schoof and his younger brother Eli. The 400 relay team finished with a time of a 3:19.31. In addition to the relay teams, City always had the luxury of sending two of their swimmers to Indianapolis to swim individually as well. Ali Hakim swam in the 100 meter backstroke finishing with a time of 54:05 in preliminaries. “Going to state was a great experience for me and being able to see all of the great competition throughout the state.” The big story of the state meet for the Wolves however, was junior standout Tim Schoof. Schoof swam in the 100 meter fly and 100 meter backstroke with teammate Ali Hakim in addition to the relay races. Schoof finished the 100 meter fly with a time of 50.59 and place finish of 8th. Schoof had another 8th place finish in the 100 meter backstroke with a time of 51.51. “Attending state is surreal, and finals are even better. Everyone is hyped up and it is crazy.” Schoof felt very lucky and proud to be swimming in not just one but two events individually at the state meet. However, the Wolves swimmers all agreed that none of this would have been possible if it was not for first year head coach Mel Kovenz. “If it was not for Coach Kovenz, I do not know if we could have done this. I hated the morning practices and he pushed us harder than we have ever been pushed before but he is the best coach I have ever had” said Duenas. The Wolves will look to build on this success into the next year as City will return all of their key swimmers including all members from the relay in addition to Schoof. “This year’s state appearance kind of puts Michigan City back on the map” said Schoof. The Wolves will look to build on this success into the next year as City will return all of their key swimmers including all members from the relay team.