Seniors leave their mark on City football

Drew Hanft, Sports Reporter

city football

Summer is just about here and that means high school seniors are finishing up school and preparing to enjoy their summer vacation before going off to college.  The Michigan City football team’s season ended seven months ago and the players have had plenty of time to reflect on their final season playing on the turf of Ames Field.

It is finally sinking in for some players that their high school football career is over and they will not be with the team when the Wolves start practice in June.  Senior offensive tackle TyRon Kent said, “Knowing my high school career is over, it hurts.  I wish I had at least one more year of it but I have a ton of good and fun memories.”

However, one lucky member of the 2014 squad will get to continue his football career.  Defensive end Myles Morrow, will be attending Marian University in Indianapolis this fall.  Morrow wished to thank head coach Michael Karpinski on helping him throughout his career and making him better.  “Coach Karp helped me become successful because he saw potential in me and gave me many opportunities to prove myself as a player.”

This year’s seniors have left a great mark in Michigan City football history after the Wolves broke multiple records and recorded the best record since 20008.  The seniors leave huge shoes to fill but there is optimism around the football program that the void will be filled next season.  ‘City football is going to continue to progress.  This season was only the beginning” said Kent.

A few of the seniors wished to give some advice to the underclassmen players.  Middle linebacker Matt Schoof said “leave it all out there on the field.  You may hate it when you are working but you will miss it once it is all over.”  Senior defensive end Tyler Abbott asked for underclassmen to go above and beyond just working hard.  “Put in work on and off the field, and definitely in the weight room.  Do not be average.”

Senior offensive tackle Hunter Wroblewski had some final words he wanted to share.  “Playing football was the greatest decision of my life and I feel like it has made me a better man.  I could not have asked for a better group of seniors to play with.  Even though the cards did not always fall our way, I will never forget this experience playing football with my brothers.  Putting on the grey and blue and playing in the nicest stadium in northwest Indiana has been a privilege” said Wroblewski.

As the seniors graduate and move on with their lives, some will attend different colleges, and some will move away and lose communication.  However, City football will always stay with them wherever they go.