Spell bowl season starts up

Kaitlyn Steinhiser, News Reporter

Last year’s Spell Bowl team and several new members met in Mr. Brian Richards’s room on Thursday, September 3rd to discuss this year’s word list and the Spell Bowl competition itself.

These students have to study 3,245 words ranging in difficulty from “silly” to “impecunious.” However, they only have to spell nine at the competition. While all students strive for a perfect nine, most only reach five or six correct words.

Instead of spelling those nine words orally, students sit next to a proctor and write the words out as an announcer pronounces the word, uses the word in a sentence, and gives a definition of the word. The proctor then checks the speller’s paper for mistakes at the end of each round. Students get one point for each word that they spell correctly, and all of the students’ scores are added up to form the team’s total score.

MCHS’s team will compete against schools such as Portage High School, Marquette High School, Chesterton High School, Merrilville High School, Crown Point High School, and many others at the IASP (Indiana Association of School Principals) Academic Spell Bowl Competition in November at Portage High School. Schools that place at that competition have the opportunity to go to the state-wide competition later this year.  Although MCHS’s team hasn’t made it to the state competition in the past two years, they hope to qualify for the competition this year.

Other information about the competition can be found at http://www.iasp.org/dsp/academic/spell/, and anyone who is interested in joining the team can attend a practice on Tuesday, September 8th in Mr. Richards’s room.