City girls volleyball starting with a bang

Drew Hanft, Sports Reporter

The Michigan City Wolves girls’ volleyball team is off to a hot start this season winning ten of their first twelve games.   The Wolves started the season off with two easy wins over Westville High School and Morgan Township High School.  City made easy work of the Blackhawks winning in 3 sets by scores of 25-6, 25-15, and 25-11.  The girls came back two days later and shut down Morgan Township winning in four sets by a score of 3-1.  Morgan Township never really was able to bounce back against the Wolves after City won the first set by a score of 25-12.

City most recently just earned their biggest win of the season yet after beating Johnson Road rivals LaPorte High School in The Wolves Den.  Michigan City won the match in five sets after downing the Slicers 3-2.  Game one favored City by a score of 28-26.  LaPorte bounced back in game two taking the set 25-16.  The Wolves returned in game three posting another tight score of 25-22.  LaPorte took game four and sent the match into a thrilling game five where City came from behind to take seven of the last eight points to take the wild victory of a score of 15-13.

The Lady Wolves have been highlighted early on in the year by the fantastic play of their underclassmen.   Teams have had trouble scoring against City so far this season much thanks to sophomore defensive specialist Allison Ruhe.  However, much of the noise made this season by the Wolves has been account to the star freshmen duo of hitter/setter Emily Kinney and six foot-four inch tall middle hitter Hannah Noverske.

Although Kinney and Noverske are receiving a lot of attention for the Wolves, do not forget the experience City returns on the floor this year as well.  Setter Hanna Westphal is the lone senior on the squad and is back for one last time around and is a leader for the Wolves.  Junior hitter Karmen Halfacre and setter Allyson Richards have been playing varsity since their freshman year and return to the floor of The Wolves Den bringing a load of talent and experience.  Sophomore star hitter Kylie Filipiak is obviously another player that will make a difference for the Wolves as she also was a varsity starter as a freshman.

Clearly, the Wolves are young, but the roster is filled with talent from top to bottom and will look to continue their hot streak going the rest of their season and into the postseason.