From bed sheets to banners

MCHS clubs and organizations create banners for Spirit Week.

Emily Glowacki, Allison Thomas, Jessica Hixon, Elizabeth Werner, and Jenna Stratton trace the banner for the junior class.

Kaitlyn Steinhiser, News Writer

Colorful symbols of school spirit that were once plain, white bed sheets will line the halls of the lower A building during Spirit Week at MCHS.

Each year, all clubs are welcome to provide a banner for homecoming with themes that center around the wolves defeating whatever team that they are going against that year at the homecoming game. For example, this year, the wolves will be facing the Merrilville pirates at the homecoming game, so the student council banner consists of a wolf hitting a pirate with a gavel and the slogan, “Smash the pirates!”

Not only are clubs encouraged to make banners, but each class is to provide a banner as well. While clubs provide banners to simply show their support for the team, each class is required to provide a banner that they must submit so that they can gain points to win the spirit stick.  Along with pep session participation, the results of Class Olympics, and Spirit Week participation, the quality of a class’s banner can determine whether or not they even come close to winning the spirit stick that is awarded at the end of the homecoming game.

To improve the quality of their banners, most clubs and classes choose an image to put on an overhead projector that they then trace onto the sheet itself. After they are done tracing, the students then paint the banner and hang it up in the hallway for everyone to see.

Once Spirit Week is over, all of the banners are transferred over to Ames Field to be put on display during the football game.