MCHS Students Attend Urban League Scholarship Fair

Marcus Lester, News Reporter

MCHS’s top minority students attended the Urban League Scholarship Fair on Thursday, September  24. This fair consisted of colleges such as Ball State University, Valparaiso University, Indiana State University, Indiana University, Purdue University, and many more.

Students that attended this fair were able to be offered a variety of scholarships on the spot. Students were asked to bring their official high school transcripts for proof of their great academic records.  There were booths where students were able to learn more about each school. Transcripts were very important because it gave students a faster decision. This was also a chance for students to interact with each other and meet new friends. There were many different high schools there so it was easy for the students to interact. If students wished to apply to any of the various schools represented at the fair, they had the opportunity to get an idea of their chances of getting admitted and there was no fee required. Our Michigan City High School students were able to narrow down their choices of different colleges that they wanted to attend. They also feel that this trip was beneficial to them and encourage other minority students to attend if they can. The students said that the trip was definitely worthwhile and boosted their confidence when tackling the thought of college. The students who attended were Shylinn Martin, Chantay Drake, Marcus Lester, Albesa Schliephake, Rishi Verma, Mia Phillips, Rachel Edwards, Livan Arteaga, Carlos Bucio, Jasmine McLemore, Ellisha Martin and Rodrigo Serrano.