Students scramble to get vaccinated

Lizzie Quinlan and Elizabeth Quinlan

Have you gotten your Meningitis vaccine? Within the past few weeks, many students in the high school were scrambling to get their vaccines before the date of October first.

While the requirement for this vaccine may seem inconvenient, there is a solid reason why schools are so strict about each student receiving their own vaccine.

Meningitis is an inflammation of the meninges caused by viral or bacterial infection and marked my intense fevers, sensitivity to light muscular rigidity leading to convulsions, delirium, and death. Meningitis can quickly become life threatening, and teenagers have a higher risk of getting it. The age groups that are most at risk of it are, newborns, infants, children, teenagers and young adults, and older adults.

Meningitis can be spread through exchange of saliva, sharing food and drink, and other factors, but the bacteria that causes it is not as contagious as the viruses that cause a cold or a flu.

Many colleges are strict about incoming students having their vaccines. People are more prone to catch or spread an illness when they are living in close quarters, such as dorm rooms, or even living with a group of other people. Which is why schools are so demanding that all students receive their vaccines.

Meningitis can show up through a fever, headache, and stiff neck. More common symptoms to the illness are nausea, vomiting, increased sensitivity to light and confusion.

Although there are many forms of meningitis, bacterial meningitis can be treated effectively with antibiotics if caught soon enough. The best way to make sure that you and your children don’t contract bacterial meningitis is to make sure that all of your vaccines are up to date.