Fall teams prepare for sectionals

Michael Hebb, Sports Editor

Fall sports at MCHS already kicked off this year, and most of our teams are steadily preparing for, hopefully, deep runs into the postseason.

One of the most anticipated games of the year for MCHS fans and students is the football team’s sectionals. Destin Kirk says the way the team needs to prepare for sectionals is “to make some changes on both sides of the ball. At this point of the season we just have to stay together.” Though winning all of sectionals is the ultimate goal, Kirk realizes how his team really should look at it. “As far as sectionals goes, we want to win the whole thing, but we have to take it game by game. For now we are just going to have to turn the season around and go into sectionals on a roll.”

The boys’ tennis team has suffered some injuries this year that have held them back from their full potential. However, team captain Caleb Raymer, is very optimistic when it comes to the team’s future. He said, “I believe that we will compete very well in our Sectionals. We are preparing for it simply by playing a lot of tennis.”

The boys’ soccer team has a great chance at clinching their sectionals this year, as they have seven experienced seniors on their roster this year. Noah Van Gemeren, a senior, said about his team’s hopes for a successful sectional, “I think out of my four years on the team, this is our best shot at winning sectionals.” For some teams, it takes both hard work and luck to win, and Noah understands that. “We are all working hard at practice, we just need to peak at the right time.”

Girls’ soccer has had flashes of success this year, proving that it is entirely possible that they could make a run for this year’s sectional championship. Senior captain Lauren Slisher has high hopes for this season. She said, “I think we have a good chance to win sectionals if we play hard.”

This year’s volleyball team, with only one senior, has done exceptional so far. They have fought out some key conference matches, even one against LaPorte, to establish themselves as one of the better teams in the conference. Though they may not have as much experience as some other teams at MCHS, they are one of the most talented teams, meaning a sectional victory is completely possible.