Volleyball Team Set to Succeed

Michigan City huddles for a timeout during a game this season.

Kristen Gushrowski, Sports Writer

Due to a loss of players to graduation last year, the 2015 MCHS volleyball team has a young lineup this season.

City lost six players to graduation last year. Those players had a huge impact on the team.

“All six of them played,” said coach Kohler, who is in her fourth season as coach for the Wolves.

The loss of players has left Kohler with a young team, but she has no worries.

“The majority of our girls play volleyball year round on club travel teams,” said Kohler. “We might be young, but our young players have a lot of experience playing at a high level.”

One of the new team members is freshman Co-Captain Emily Kinney, who is not new to the leadership or hard work volleyball demands. She is one of many players for the Wolves who plays volleyball year round.

“I played Dunes for five years,” said Kinney. “We start in December and end in June. We practice three days a week, and every weekend we have a tournament.

“I have been playing for so long I am used to leading. It has not been that big of a transition.”

Although the team is young, City has big goals for the season. Kohler said these goals include ranking in the top three of the DAC and winning sectionals.

According to junior Co-Captain Karmen Halfacre, the team is working hard to reach these goals.

“This year we have a lot more confidence in ourselves,” said Halfacre. “Coach Kohler is working us harder in practice, and we are working on our speed and agility.”

That confidence showed when the Wolves took on rival Laporte on September 3, winning 3-2.

“I knew we were going to have to play great to win,” said Kohler. “At the end of the game, we were down 8-12. All of a sudden we started creeping back into the game, inch by inch.”

Sectionals are at the end of October, and the team knows they will have to work hard to win that championship.

“We are playing against tough teams in the DAC,” said Halfacre. “We all know what we are capable of.”