Winter sports prepare for big seasons

Jack Smith, Sports Reporter

With the Fall sports seasons coming to a close, many students are anxious for the Winter sports season to start. All of the sports teams are getting fired up and ready for their chance to make themselves great. We have a variety of sports in which include boys basketball, girls basketball, boys swimming and diving, girls swimming and diving, boys bowling, girls bowling, boys wrestling, girls gymnastics, Winter sideline cheer, and the Wolvettes.

The boys basketball team is coached by John Boyd. He has been the coach for a long time. Last season the team did not make it very far in sectionals losing to Chesterton in the first round. This year, the team is looking like it will have a strong postseason run.

The girls basketball team is also a strong team and has a hopeful season ahead of them. The team is coached by Mike Megyese. Last year, the team struggled, finishing 4-18. Coach Megyese led South Bend St. Joseph to a state title in 2005 and hopefully he can bring MCHS the same thing.

Boys and girls swimming is coached by Melvin Kovenz. Last season five male swimmers made it to state. Hopefully they can return with more people and go back to state this season. Kovenz says that this year will be a surprise saying that we have a lot of returning swimmers and quite a few new rookies. With all the work they are putting in it will be a quality season. The goal for the season are to take relays and individual swimmers to state again.

The girls’ swim season is looking up, also. As coach Kovenz said, “it is a season for new development.” They did not have the best season last year but they did not lose too many contributors to the team. They only lost one swimmer. They are looking at developing and becoming a better team this year. Kovenz’s mindset for the season is to let it develop. They have some new swimmers and they are going to have to focus on helping them and building the team to be the best possible.

City’s gymnastics team is coached by Kelly Reiser and they look to have yet another good season. Last year they went to state and did very well. As they look at the new season they look to better and find a way to improve even with the loss of their seniors.

At City we offer other great sports. All of City’s athletics and other programs resemble excellence, and prestige. If you are interested in sports you should try out for them because it is a good way to have fun while showing your skill. It is also a very good way to decompress after school. Come join us in our winter sports.