MCHS Takes Safety Precautions

Kyle Hurt, Staff Member

Students arrived to school to an unfamiliar sight on Tuesday. Students were stopped when entering the building by officers of the MCPD and MCHS administration for a random bag check.

The administration released a statement saying the search was “prompted by a threat”. The decision for this bag check came after a consultation with the MCPD, where they determined a search should be conducted as a precautionary measure.

The school system does a number of things to make sure the building stays safe. In September MCHS conducted a lock down drill and also had the MCPD Canine Unit search through all lockers during the drill.

MCHS has an SRO, which is a School Resource Officer. This person is employed by the Michigan City Police department and they work closely with administrators in an effort to create a safer environment for both students and staff. The responsibilities of SROs are similar to regular police officers in that they have the ability to make arrests, respond to calls for service, and document incidents that occur within their jurisdiction.

Dejha Johnson, a sophomore, appreciated the effort taken to assure safety, “I like to be safe when I come here and not worry about anything else but school.”

She went on to say, “It does not make our school look bad because at my old school in Chicago we would get checked every day with metal detectors”

Principal McCollum, the rest of the administration, and local law enforcement continue to work together to establish policies and procedures that will “help assure that our school is safe and our students are drug-free.”