Steve quit on his team

Jack Smith, Sports Reporter

Legendary South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier quit and left his team, association, and friends after nearly 10 years as head coach. He has been famous in the past for never giving up and always hitting the opposition in the heart of their team. Spurrier is so well-known for his risky play calling and his determination in never giving up. This is why it was such an outrage when he left.

He says that it is time for him to get out of the way and let somebody else have a go. This may be his mindset but many wonder, why leave mid-season? Why would you not just finish out the season? He was disappointed to the 2-4 start to the season.

Steve said that “things don’t go on forever and that it is time to take on a new adventure in my life.” He is wanting to move on to some other adventure that might include coaching high school football.

He has coached at Duke, Florida, and at South Carolina. His career record is 228-89-2. In 2002-03 he was the head coach of the NFL Washington Redskins but had a record of 12- 20. He then went back to the collegiate level. He has done considerably better as a college coach rather than an NFL coach.

He has been one of the most prestigious college football coaches of all time. Steve Spurrier is definitely a coach that has shaped the game of football not just for the players but for the coaches. He has one of the best career records and is not done yet. He is going to coach at the high school level instead of college. Spurrier is 70 years old and is not done yet.