MCHS Champions Together is Awarded Banner

Mohammad Hakim, News Reporter

Champions Together is a collaborative partnership between the Indiana High School Athletic Association and Special Olympics Indiana that promotes servant leadership among student athletes while changing their lives as well as the lives of those with intellectual disabilities.
Special Olympics is supporting Champions Together as a model program to activate schools through Project Unify. For Michigan City High School to have quailified for their banner they complete all of the following. All school sponsored activities must be planned, organized and administered by an Inclusive Student Leadership team that strives to do things WITH students with intellectual disabilities NOT FOR them.The school must participate in at least one activity designed around Whole School Engagement that promotes and encourages awareness, respect and inclusion of persons with intellectual disabilities. The school must organize and participate in at least one Unified Sports activity such as IHSAA Unified Track & Field, a Unified practice or clinic, or a Unified competition with students with intellectual disabilities OR local Special Olympics athletes. The school must have raised a minimum of $1500 for the Champions Together project. All of these criteria were met through the hard work of all of the members. Bobby Cox, the commissioner of IHSAA, came to Michigan City High School to award the banner to the students.