Sleeping in Psychology

Marcus Lester, News Reporter

In the Advanced Placement Psychology course at MCHS, students have begun discussing why humans sleep and the idea of dreams. Students are also learning about the cognitive theory of dreaming, the difference between REM sleep, a person’s sleep throughout their lifespan.

When we dream, we may not exactly remember what happened but some things that go on in our dreams can be a sign of something. This is an example of a manifest content meaning it contains symbols that disguise the dream’s true meaning. The opposite of that is the latent content dream which is a dream’s hidden content; its unconscious and true meaning. Students learned about Sigmund Freud, who was a neurologist and was known as the father of psychoanalysis. Freud thought that manifest dreams were a wish in disguised form and in order for someone to understand the meaning, the person would have to analyze the images.

The students in the advanced placement psychology class are also talking about cognitive theory of dreaming. The cognitive theory of dreaming is dreaming that can be understood by applying the same cognitive concepts used to study the waking mind. This theory rests on the idea that dreams are subconscious cognitive processing. In this theory of dreaming, Freud thought that there was little or no search for the symbolic content of dreams.

Something really important that people do not notice is REM sleep. REM stands for rapid eye movement, which is an active stage during which dreaming occurs. Specialists look at different sleep stages from one to four and when these stages drift up that is what REM sleep is. Shifting above these stages is shifting toward wakefulness. In this kind of sleep, the most vivid dreams occur and most of the time humans will remember these dreams more clearly.