School, Sports, & Work. Oh My!

Tamira Hall, Feature Reporter

Image provided by www.sportsdad.com
Image provided by www.sportsdad.com
As high school students reach their junior and senior year many of them start applying for jobs. On top of school, many of them also play one or more sports. “My mom did not want me to get a job, she wanted me to focus on school. But I want a job anyway because I want to prepare for my future,” said senior Tayler Bowman. Michigan City High School starts at 7:25am and gets out at 2:15pm. Most students have to get up around 6:00am to ensure that they make it to the bus on time. That’s approximately 8 hours a day 5 days a week. “I go to work at 3:00pm and I get off at 10:00pm but that is on the days when I do not have practice.” said Tia Majied. That’s another 8 hours. “I have practice on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 4 to 7 and games on Friday. I work on Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday for six to eight hours. I am taking AP classes and I am a member of the basketball team, track team, colorguard team, and the wolvettes team. All while I am working at IZOD in the Lighthouse Mall.” A student is guaranteed to get homework from at least 1 teacher a night which means that they will have to complete it after practice or work. “Of course I am tired and do not feel like doing my homework, but I stay up all night until it is done anyway. School comes first always. I would just recommend that if a student is looking for a job, to make sure that their boss is flexible with the schedule and work around school and practices.” Juggling school, work, and sports is not easy but it can be done. Multiple students at Michigan City High School accomplish it daily. It might not be for everyone,but it surely is possible!