The United States of Crime

Tamira Hall, Feature Reporter

A 'Welcome to Detroit' sign is seen along 8 Mile Road in Detroit, Michigan January 27, 2013. Throughout its long decline, Detroit has sought ways to restore to its former glory a city that was home to 1.8 million people, pinning its hopes on grandiose plans for the automotive industry or casinos. With just 700,000 people left, ambitions are now focused on making less populated neighborhoods viable and repurposing land, perhaps for urban farming. Where the cash-strapped city can't provide, grassroots groups and investors help fill the gaps. Picture taken January 27, 2013.   REUTERS/Rebecca Cook (UNITED STATES - Tags: BUSINESS POLITICS SOCIETY EMPLOYMENT) - RTR3DZ2L
A ‘Welcome to Detroit’ sign is seen along 8 Mile Road in Detroit, Michigan January 27, 2013. Throughout its long decline, Detroit has sought ways to restore to its former glory a city that was home to 1.8 million people, pinning its hopes on grandiose plans for the automotive industry or casinos. With just 700,000 people left, ambitions are now focused on making less populated neighborhoods viable and repurposing land, perhaps for urban farming. Where the cash-strapped city can’t provide, grassroots groups and investors help fill the gaps. Picture taken January 27, 2013. REUTERS/Rebecca Cook (UNITED STATES – Tags: BUSINESS POLITICS SOCIETY EMPLOYMENT) – RTR3DZ2L
America has recently had a crime rate hike in the past five years. The 10 most violent and dangerous cities are Detroit, Michigan as number 1, Oakland, California, Memphis, Tennessee, St. Louis, Missouri, Cleveland, Ohio, Baltimore, Maryland, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Birmingham, Alabama, Newark, New Jersey, Kansas City, Missouri. Detroit is number one because it has a crime rate of 2,702 people and a murder rate of 41/100,000 people with a population of only 699,889. There is a ratio of 1:297 of officer to people. Detroit has been number 1 on that list since 2012. A foreign exchange student that visited Michigan City High school for a semester admitted that she was at first scared to come to America because she was afraid of getting hurt. She said that many people in her town believes the same and was scared for her safety but she decides to come anyway. Many countries look at America as the violent country. And it is clear to see why, Americas crime rates are ridiculous. 1.8 people die per second in America. That means that 108 people die per minute. So 6,480 people die an hour in the United States of America. Some may argue that the land of the “free” and “brave” is not so free and brave after all if a person can walk out of their house and get killed in places like Chicago, Baton Route, and Detroit. Many citizens are hoping to have a decline in crime rates within the next few years. We will have to see!