Howl-O-Ween is a Scary Good Time

Swim coach Mel Kovenz hands out candy to a trick-or-treater at Howl-O-Ween

Sage Santana, News Reporter

This year at Ames Field, the annual Howl-O-Ween community trick-or-treat, which is put on by various MCHS sports and clubs, along with other community organizations, was a huge success.

Thousands of children and their families flocked to Ames from 6:30-8:30 to take part in a city-wide trick-or-treat. Scary music played from the speakers and dozens of tables were set up around the field, with students representing sports and activities like Boy’s and Girl’s Golf, Student Council, Boy’s and Girl’s Basketball,  and even other organizations, such as the Children’s International Summer Village. Coaches, sponsors, and students representing the organizations stood being tables, bearing the cold and rain, and handing out thousands of candies.

Howl-O-Ween, had a great turnout this year, as thousands of people walked Ames for candies, games, and fun. The annual Halloween event takes place to give children in the Michigan City area an opportunity to have fun, spend time with friends and family, and receive a bucketful of candy, and all the while taking place in a supervised, safe environment, at no cost to anyone entering the stadium.

All the bases were covered at Howl-O-Ween, as hundreds of masks were provided for those who might have forgotten their costumes, and activities were provided.  Activities at the event included face painting, a Home Run Derby, and a hoop shooting competition.  Children of all ages had a great time having fun, getting candy, and all the while enjoying the night in a safe and welcoming environment.

As the night winded down and the crowds left, the Howl-O-Ween fun was over, but the spirit of Halloween did not die.