UConn basketball graduation rates unbelievable

Sean Callaghan, Sports Reporter

The University of Connecticut Men’s Basketball team has, by a great margin, the lowest graduation rate of players in the top twenty-five preseason ranked teams this college basketball year at just 20 percent. The national average graduation rate for all college sports is 86 percent, and in men’s basketball, it’s 77 percent. This is a major difference compared to the women’s basketball team, which had a 100 percent graduation rate, according to the NCAA.

In the recent past, the biggest news item pertaining to UConn’s basketball team and their grades was when they were banned from the NCAA tournament in 2013. UConn was barred from both the 2013 Big East tournament and the NCAA tournament based on the APR scores from the 2007-08 through 2010-11 academic years.

That ban originated from another academic statistic, the Academic Progress Rate, which measures academic eligibility of their players and of any student. If their academic problems are bad enough to get them into this kind of trouble, then their players need some help. The next-lowest graduation rate among the preseason Top 25 in basketball is California at 54.5.

Two seasons ago, as the Huskies were winning the national championship, it was reported that only one of 12 players who entered the program between 2003 and 2006 had graduated. In recent years, the Huskies have improved their academic numbers and have graduated a number of seniors. They have returned APR scores far superior to the scores in previous years, meeting and surpassing the minimum requirements. Coach Kevin Ollie has addressed the situation and is progressing in his endeavor.