This month in sports: Curry stays hot, Missouri players go on strike, and more

Michael Hebb, Sports Editor

With the beginning of a new NBA season and the turning point of the NFL season, there has been plenty of action to keep all big sports fans interested.

Coming off of a Finals victory, Stephen Curry had a historic start to the season. In only his first six games, he put up 213 points, second all-time to Michael Jordan. Curry was also last season’s MVP, and his performance this far proves that he has the potential to do it again.

Staying on the west coast, Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers have started the season very slowly. In consecutive years now, the Lakers started out losing their first five games. There has only been one other instance that they have started a season with such a record, and that was in 1957 when they were a franchise worst 0-7. Kobe has not proven to be of much help, putting up some of his worst field goal percentages of his career. Because of his poor play, this could very well be his last season in the NBA.

Many NFL teams are experiencing similar troubles, as there are many teams in the league with losing records. In the AFC south, for example, no team has a record of .500 or better.

Though there are many struggling teams, the Green Bay Packers, Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Cincinnati Bengals, and New England Patriots all started out a perfect 6-0. However, the Packers lost three straight games after that streak, and Peyton Manning of the Broncos has not looked very sharp all season.

In college football, the Missouri football team went on strike to force the removal of the university president. The players were reacting to the president’s lack of action in response to several acts of racism on the campus in Columbia. The Tigers were 4-5 at the time of the strike.

On the brighter side of college football, Clemson overtook Ohio State as number one in the AP poll. This was the first time they were ranked as the top team in the country since the end of the 1981 season. Many analysts believed that Ohio State would dominate all other teams this season and stay at number one, but after a couple of close games, they dropped.

Novak Djokovic defeated Andy Murray in the Paris Masters final on November 8. This was his tenth title of the year, and six of those titles were ATP Masters series events. He became the first player to win six such titles in the same year.

Fans have much more to look forward to as winter approaches. College Football will be in Bowl Season, the NFL will have its playoff races, and the NBA will hit its stride as they approach midseason.