P is for Pool (and Plummer)

Riley (left) and Mckenzie Plummer are sisters on the MCHS Diving Team.

Kristen Gushrowski, Sports Writer

Not many girls can say they were on a high school sports team with her sister. But Mckenzie and Riley Plummer can. The Plummer sisters are members of the 2015-2016 Wolves diving team. Mckenzie is a senior and in her fourth diving season, while Riley is entering her first high school diving season as a freshman.

Mckenzie is the team captain and takes her leadership role very seriously.

“With diving, it’s 90% mental,” said Mckenzie. “I help my teammates get their thinking right.”

Mckenzie also pushes her teammates to be their best, which can be difficult with sister Riley on the team.

“It’s been difficult because I push her harder than everyone else because I expect more from her,” said Mckenzie.

But, Mckenzie pushes Riley because she loves her, and the two girls want to succeed together. Their goal for the season is to advance from sectionals to regionals together.

“Advancing this year is important because it’s the only year we can go together,” said Riley. “We don’t have more years together on the team.”

Being on the team together has brought Riley and Mckenzie closer together. Mckenzie says having Riley around at practice and meets makes diving a lot more fun, and Riley says she communicates more with Mckenzie than she has before.

“I like being able to see her at school,” said Mckenzie. “We are a lot closer now that we’re at the same school.”

The bond the sisters have is going to help them achieve their regional-qualifying goal. If the duo advances, they will be the first City divers to do so since Allison Ormsby advanced in 2014.

“I like that we’re on the team together because we’ll get to push each other to do better,” said Mckenzie, “but I wish it wasn’t our only year.”