The MCHS Cast of “Cinderella” Brings the Magic to Local Children

Kyle Hurt, Staff Writer

The Michigan City High School Theatre Department will be presenting Rogers and Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” this weekend; but on Monday, November 16th, the cast of “Cinderella” took the show on the road to visit local children.

Stops along their city tour included Imagination Station, Barker Woods, Headstart, Edgewood, and Marsh.

The performance introduced Cinderella (Lauren Werner), the Prince (Christian Toney), and the Fairy Godmother (Elizabeth Werner). They performed two songs, “Impossible” and “Ten Minutes Ago”.

Along with a great performance from the cast, it also included a little magic when Cinderella’s dress transforms into her ballroom gown. The kids sat and watched, amazed by the performance. A common question that seemed to follow them around all day was, “How did you do that?” and “Are you guys human?”.  The dress transformation is not the only magic the Fairy Godmother has up her sleeve, but you’ll have to come see the show to witness it for yourself.

The performances were well received by the teachers of the visited schools and also by the director of the show Charles Puetzer. “This was the first time we ever did anything like this and I think it went very well. The students enjoyed it and even the teachers, ‘Cinderella’ is a story that we all know and love.” He went on to say, “I would love to do this again, not only to promote future productions but to bring the amazing world of theatre to kids in the community.”

The show is this Friday and Saturday at 7pm and on Sunday at 2pm. The cost of admission is $5 for students and $10 for adults.