The Art of Being a Student-Athlete

Kristen Gushrowski, Sports Writer

Everyday, students at MCHS juggle their school work with their sports.

The average high school sports practice concludes at 5:00, and games and competitions end around 8:00 or 9:00, depending on the sport. Once a student-athlete gets home from their practice or game, there is little time and energy to focus on homework.

However, City’s student-athletes have several ways to make sure the work gets done. Hunter Williams is a soccer player and a baseball player, and his key to success is using his time wisely.

“I do as much as I can at school and then the rest at home,” said Williams.

Cheerleader Carlie Vittatoe doesn’t waste time either and completes are homework during lunch, before practice, and before games, to ensure it’s completed prior to her sport.

Some students have the ability to be a student aid, where they have an hour in their schedules each day to work on homework while at school. Megan Gushrowski is one of many students who includes student aiding in her class schedule. Gushrowski is on the gymnastics team and uses her aiding hour to finish her homework before she leaves school. Gushrowski also takes advantage of her weekends.

“I do as much school work as possible on the weekends to try to stay ahead,” said Gushrowski. “I also don’t waste time in class.”

Doing well in school is important for sports because a poor grade point average could result in ill eligibility for games and competitions. By making school a priority, using time wisely in class, and finishing homework before games, City’s student-athletes are guaranteeing themselves success on the court and in the classroom.