Student Athletes

Sarah Smith, Feature Reporter

Just being a student in high school can be rough sometimes with all of the work it takes to get good grades, but being a student athlete can make school and getting good grades even harder.
To be a student athlete, one must be determined, focused, have a good work ethic, good time management skills, and the willingness to improve.
Students attend school all day and then either take a short break or they go directly to their athletic practice. At practice, students work as hard as they can to improve.
We work through grueling sets, terrible time intervals, and all sorts of physical and mental pain. The reward for most athletes is simple: improvement—both physically and mentally.
It is nice to see the different sports teams around our school succeeding. Michigan City High School winter sports are starting and a whole new group of athletes are beginning their seasons.
These athletes have the tough job of maintaining their grades while working towards a winning season.
As a student athlete it can be hard sometimes to make sure I get all of my homework finished while still making it to practice on time.
Sleep deprivation becomes a normality. But, at the end of the day, it is definitely worth it and all around it makes a person an even better person.
Sports make a person dedicated and helps them create a positive attittude. I know that the only thing that can make me feel better after a tough day at school is going to the pool and swimming a ton of laps.
Sports can make a person dedicated because it gives them something to look forward to at the end of each day. It also gives them a reason to participate and get involved in after school activities.
The sports teams here at the high school are definitely worth getting involved in and who knows, you might end up finding something that you end up loving. There are plenty of opportunities to be involved in sports and can be a great opportunity.