Boys basketball falls in home opener

The+Den+cheers+on+the+Wolves+at+their+home+opener+against+South+Bend+Riley+Tuesday+night.+

The Den cheers on the Wolves at their home opener against South Bend Riley Tuesday night.

Kristen Gushrowski, Sports Writer

City’s boys basketball team lost to South Bend Riley Tuesday night in the Wolves Den.

City a 9 point lead early in the game to give them the lead at the end of the first quarter. However, the Riley Wildcats had a series of 3-point shots in the next quarter, taking the lead, 50-39.

Riley’s lead continued into the second half, although City cut the lead to only 3 points. But the close game didn’t last long, as Riley’s shooting gave them another 11-point gap ahead of City. More Riley 3-pointers increased the gap, and the Wildcats beat the Wolves, 88-67.

The game was City’s home opener, and the Den Delirium student section was in attendance to cheer on the team. The Den was decked out in its new gray shirts. This year’s quote is based off Drake’s song “Jumpman,” and read, “Jumpman, Jumpman, Jumpman. City’s Boomin’. All these dunks, man. Wow.” Other themes for the season will include Beach Night, Middle School Night, and Ugly Christmas Sweaters. All students are encouraged to come out and be apart of the Den.

The Wolves are now 1-2. City’s next game is Saturday, December 5 at Gary West Side High School. Tip off is at 7:30. City also travels to La Lumiere next Wednesday, December 9, with the action starting at 7:30 as well. Students who want to attend this game are encouraged to purchase their tickets in advance due to limited seating in La Lumiere’s gymnasium. Tickets are on sale now in the athletic office for $10. Come out and support your Wolves!