Double Trouble at MCHS

Juniors+Madison+and+Madlen+Farless+are+as+close+as+two+twins+could+get.+

Juniors Madison and Madlen Farless are as close as two twins could get.

Sage Santana, News Reporter

With less than two percent of the world’s population consisting of twins, it is natural for the other 98 percent of the population to wonder what it is like to have a twin, learn more about how twins come to be, and the different kinds of twins.
First, it is important to know how twins are formed, and what different kinds of twins there are. There are two types of twins, and these two types of twins are called identical twins (when the two children look alike) and fraternal twins (when the two do not look alike, or when they are the opposite sex). Identical twins occur when a fertilized egg splits in the mother’s womb. After the split, the two eggs develop as two individuals. Fraternal twins, on the other hand, occur when two eggs are fertilized separately and develop at the same time. Between the two, fraternal twins tend to be more rare than identical twins, as only one-third of all twins are fraternal twins.
MCHS’s own twins recently discussed what it was like to grow up with a twin, and the best and worst things about having a twin. Juniors Keith Patejdl and Kyle Patejdl are identical twins, and they feel that having a lookalike can be bittersweet.
“The best part about having a twin is that you are never alone, and there is always someone to play videogames with,” says Keith Patejdl.
Meanwhile Keith’s twin brother Kyle Patejdl has different thoughts on having a twin.
“The most annoying thing about having a twin is sharing. It would be so nice without a twin.” says Kyle Patejdl.
Another set of twins, juniors Madison and Madlen Farless agree that life would be strange without their twin.
Madlen Farless says, “It would be so different to not have Madison. People would treat me differently, and they would not have someone to confuse me with.”
Even though the girls are close and love one another, that does not mean that they do not also enjoy playing jokes on others.
“We switched places twice in kindergarten, and once in 8th grade, for two class hours.” Says Madison Farless
“It was my idea in kindergarten,” says Madlen Farless ,“we switched backpacks and coats on the bus to school. Then we got caught later and sent to the principal’s office.”
If given the chance the girls say they would try to switch places in high school but, according to Madlen, “too many teachers would know what we are up to.”
Although identical twins seem to have fun switching places and sharing not everything, fraternal twins still share a special bond.
Senior Trevor Lines is a fraternal twin. However, his sister Lexi Lines does not attend the same school, which makes for a very different experience as a twin.
“Having a twin is really no different that having another brother or sister,” said Lines .The biggest part of being a twin is how much time they spend togeher and it gives you the chance to become much closer. Fraternal twins are really different because guys and girls act differently.”
Lines considers the best thing about having a twin was being able to be more social. Having an outgoing sister led to more people to socialize with.
However, Lines also believes that the worst part about having a twin was being
together all the time, never had any secrets from each other.
Trevor considered the transition strange at first, and school was not the same without his sister but now that the Lines twins are older and Lexi is no longer attending the same school as Trevor, he does not notice his sister being gone as much. However, now that Trevor has spent the past few years without his twin at school, he says he has grown accustomed to living life without a twin by his side every day.
Even though twins might have a different experience than most growing up, one thing is clear: the bond between twins is a very special one.