Scholastic Candidates

Kaitlin Emerick, Chief Photographer

Every year MCHS art teachers gather up their students and choose their best work to be sent into the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. The Scholastic Awards look for work that demonstrates technical skill, personal voice or vision, and originality. Public, private, parochial, or home-school students in the US, Canada, or American schools abroad enrolled in grades 7-12 are eligible to participate in the awards. When judging they look for work that breaks from convention, blurs the boundaries between genres, and challenges notions of how a particular concept or emotion can be expressed. The Scholastic Awards are adjudicated without knowledge of the artists/writers identity. Young artists and writers are free to explore any and all topics. There are no pre-defined prompts and no work is ever disqualified from the Scholastic Awards because of the nature of its content.

MCHS teachers Ms. Whitler and Mrs. Cleveland are entering their students work into The Scholastic Art Competition this year. MCHS art department is sending in 26 individual pieces of work and two portfolios. Ryan Solano and Kaitlin Emerick are the two seniors who are entering portfolios into the competition that consist of their best eight pieces of work. They also had to include an artist statement that described themselves as artists and why they chose the work they did. All together Ms. Whitler is sending in work from eight students, while Mrs. Cleveland has a student sending in work also.