Deserving children shopping tour

Suzanne Kaiser

deserving

On Wednesday Dec. 9th the LaPorte County Jaycees hosted the annual Deserving Children’s Shopping Tour in Michigan City.

The LaPorte Country Jaycees worked very closely with local school counselors to sort through students that were eligible for this program. The children that were selected were selected based on known family hardships, clothing that is not suitable for the weather,  and other particular circumstances.

Last night, each child received a dinner, provided by McDonald’s, a stocking filled with small gifts, which included a hat and gloves, pictures with Santa, and a $100 shopping tour voucher with an escort to pick out boots, coats, winter clothes and a toy.

People who escorted the children and helped with the shopping tour included students from the A. K. Smith building, as well as students from National Honor Society.

Senior Thespina Dabagia was one of the NHS students to volunteer.

“Shopping for other children made my feel like I was actually helping them out. This made me happy because I felt like I was able to be apart of their Christmas experience.”

Although she did not actually get to escort a student, Dabagia still got to shop for various children.

The LaPorte Jaycees Deserving Children’s Shopping Tour is a wonderful thing, and a special thanks go to the realtors of Michigan City, and all of LaPorte County, as well as all of the other volunteers.