German Club takes Chicago

German 3 and 4 students at the Goethe Institut.

Sarah Smith, Feature Reporter

On Monday November 30, 2015 the German Club took 52 students on a field trip to Chicago. The first stop on the field trip was the Goethe-Institut, which is a German cultural center in Chicago. The students were split into two groups: the German I and II students, and then the German III and IV students. The German I and II students went into the cultural center, while the other group explored the city. After about one hour, the two groups switched. . The teachers at the center spoke to the students only in German and taught them about different cultural aspects of Germany. The teachers at the Goethe-Institut are Germans who are actually sent over to the U.S.A. to teach people about Germany.
Junior Allison Thomas said, “This field trip was a great way to show some of the German culture to the students and hopefully inspire them to travel to Germany through the German-American Partnership Program.” The students spent some of their time seeing a slideshow, which included many different things about Germany. Afterward, students were assigned the task of figuring out how much water is used to produce different products and then place them in order from least to greatest. These objects including a wide range of things like a cup of tea and a car. After the Goethe-Institut the students were taken to Germantown to eat a traditional meal.
The students went to the Chicago Brauhaus, which is known for its Bavarian style food. Junior Jonathan Zerbes said, “It was great to experience more German culture in the food, shops, and the holiday spirit which was present in the Christkindlmarket.” Most students enjoyed a delicious plate of chicken schnitzel while others had sauerbrotten, or the vegetarian plate. After lunch students were allowed to walk around Germantown and visit different stores such as Marbles, a toy store, and the local grocery store. The next and final stop on the German trip was the Chicago Christkindlmarket. The Christkindlmarket is a traditional Christmas market that attracts about one million visitors a year. Students spent time strolling among the many booths and enjoying candies, toys, different types of food and drinks. Senior Cece Latchford said, “I had a lot of fun on this trip. It has always been one of my favorite trips and I am sad this was my last year to go on it.” The German field trip was a really great time that helped allow students to learn more about German culture and have a fun time in the process.