A Night of Champions

1966+Elston+High+School+principal+Warren+Jones+gives+a+speech+on+behalf+of+the+1966+state+champion+boys+basketball+team+Saturday+night.+

1966 Elston High School principal Warren Jones gives a speech on behalf of the 1966 state champion boys basketball team Saturday night.

Kristen Gushrowski, Sports Writer

Saturday night, Michigan City High School athletics honored the 1995 Wolves state champion volleyball team and the 1966 Elston High School state champion boys basketball team. Members of the community came out to the Wolves Den to celebrate the Michigan City state champions.

The two championship teams were recognized at halftime of the City boys basketball game against Indianapolis Arsenal Tech.

The Wolves volleyball team was recognized first. As their names were called, players walked onto the center of the gymnasium floor, followed by their coach, Benny Edwards, with the state championship trophy. The team’s record for the 1995 season was 40-1.

The Red Devil basketball team’s recognition followed. Each player walked onto the floor with the reading of his name and the state championship trophy.

1966 Elston principal Warren Jones gave a speech honoring the basketball team. Jones described the journey the team took through the state tournament, which included wins against LaPorte and South Central. He also included a description of the events following the championship game, like the parade down Franklin Street.

Prior to the game, alumni from both teams were able to catch up during a dinner in Heritage Hall in the Wolves Den sponsored by MCHS athletics.

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the volleyball championship and the 50th anniversary of the basketball championship. These are the only state championships for Michigan City for both sports.

Michigan City lost the game against Indianapolis Arsenal Tech. The Wolves were down 28-38 at halftime, and failed to take the lead throughout the second half, losing 74-71.

The game was also City’s last home game before Christmas. The Den Delirium student section expressed its Christmas spirit with Ugly Sweater Night. Students came to the game decked out in their red, green, and white sweaters and their Santa hats.