More students committing academic dishonesty

Taking pictures of homework assignments and sending them to friends, using the internet to look up test questions and or text books, all of these different ways of cheating shows that it has gotten worse due to the access of advanced technology. Instead of students actually getting educated, they are doing anything they need to do to make the grade they want. Today’s students don’t believe in actually learning material, they simply just want to pass the class.  Richard Perez Pena says, “Large-scale cheating has been uncovered over the last year at some of the nation’s most competitive schools, like Stuyvesant High School in Manhattan, the Air Force Academy and, most recently, Harvard.” Studies show that now that even the most “ambitious” students have even been caught cheating. 

Experts say the reasons for cheating are relatively simple: Cheating has become easier and more widely tolerated, and both schools and parents have failed to give students strong, repetitive messages about what is allowed and what is prohibited. Today more students can actually admit that they have cheated than in older times. 73 percent  of all test takers, including prospective graduates and teachers agree that majority of students do cheat at one point. 86 percent of high school students agreed with this statement. 

When thinking about cheating, students today think that it’s safe and beneficial when in all reality, it’s hurting our students.  If students are just handed answers, what are they learning? Students today need to understand the value and importance of education and why it’s relevant to later life.