Annual Japanese club field trip

Annual Japanese club field trip

Mohammad Hakim, News Reporter

Every year, the students of Sensei Mike Tsugawa have the opportunity to experience a cultural emergence day with the students of Futabakai school outside of Chicago. Futabakai is a Japanese school that meets on the weekends for children that want to keep ties with their Japanese heritage. It operates as any other school with a focus on Japanese culture and teachings. Many of these students were born in Japan and primarily speak Japanese. The Michigan City High School outing met up with Valparaiso High School as both schools have very successful Japanese programs. The field trip began with students from MCHS partnering with one of the students from Futabakai. The students began with a friendly lunch in which conversations were held in Japanese on both parts. Questions were asked to get to know the Futabakai students. For many students these conversation began slow but quickly warmed up as the partnering became more comfortable. The students learned first hand what it is like living in a different country and some of the cultural difference between the two nations. After lunch the Futabakai students organized a school talent show that had participants from all three schools. The MCHS students performed a Japanese dance while others sang Japanese songs, performed magic, and played instruments. The meeting ended with many new friendships and left students with an appreciation for Japanese culture.