Purdue basketball starts season off hot

Drew Hanft, Sports Reporter

purdue basketballThe Purdue University men’s basketball team is off to a hot start this season and is currently sitting at 11-0.  Purdue has won every single game this season by double digits and is the only Division I college team to do so.  Three of those wins have been over top thirty teams and is the only team with more than two victories over top thirty teams by double digits.   

The Boilermakers are currently number eleven in the country after starting the season off ranked at number 23.  The season is about a quarter of the way in and Purdue has done nothing but dominate teams from start to finish.

The Boilers are currently ranked number one in the country according to ESPN’s BPI (Basketball Power Index) rankings.  The BPI ranking is an accurate representation of how strong a basketball team is because of all the information it keeps track of.  The BPI keeps track of opponents schedule strength, scoring margin, pace of scoring, and subtracts how strong of a win was if a team was missing a key player.

Purdue started the year off with a bang by beating North Carolina A&T 81-40.  Purdue has kept this pace going by knocking off big name teams on their way to their perfect start.  Purdue defeated Old Dominion 61-39 and then beat Florida 85-70 the next day for the Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament championship.  Purdue came back the next week and faced their biggest test of the year by playing Pittsburgh at the Panthers gym.  Pitt’s student section is recognized as one of the loudest in the country.  Purdue handled the hostile round environment however and pulled away at the end to bring home the win 72-59.

This is Purdue’s most impressive start in years and they will look to continue this run all through the season and into the NCAA Tournament.  The Boilers take on the ranked Butler tomorrow in Indianapolis for the Crossroads Classic at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.