Indiana and Butler victors in Crossroad Classic

Drew Hanft, Sports Reporter

CrossroadsClassic_2015_event

This past Saturday, the annual Crossroads Classic was held again at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. The Crossroads Classic is a two game event for the four premier Division I basketball programs in the state of Indiana. The teams include Butler, Notre Dame, IU, and Purdue. The event is great for the whole state of Indiana and is a gathering for basketball fans across the state regardless of which school they are cheering for. This year Notre Dame took on the Indiana Hoosiers and #17 Butler faced #9 Purdue.

Indiana took game one of the Classic after defeating the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame 80-73. Notre Dame did not go quietly however as the Irish held a 41-31 lead at halftime. IU spent the entire second half slowly making their comeback as the Hoosiers were down by as much as 16 in the second half before they took over the game. IU shot 10 for 20 from the three point line and outscored the Irish 49-32 in the second half. Hoosier forward Troy Williams led Indiana with 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds.

Butler upset the #9 ranked Purdue Boilermakers on Saturday after beating the Boilers 74-68. Purdue came into the game with a perfect record of 11-0 and were looking to start the year off 12-0 for the 5th time in program history. The game was back and forth a majority of the time and Butler went into the locker room with a 31-27 lead at halftime. Butler made a run midway through the second half but the Boilers fought their way back pulling the game back within two. However, Butler guard Tyler Lewis sealed the game after hitting both of his free throws making it a four point lead with 21 seconds left. Forward Roosevelt Jones led the Bulldogs with 19 points and 11 rebounds. Freshman Caleb Swanigan led Purdue with 25 points and 11 rebounds