Wolves prepare for post season

The teams at the Highland Invite pose for a picture. Photo provided by Sarah Hyska.

Kristen Gushrowski, Sports Writer

City’s girls swim team is now halfway through the season and preparing for the post season.

While the team has suffered some frustrating losses, the Wolves have had some exciting wins, including a win over the Merrillville Pirates.

City beat the Pirates 116-64 Tuesday night.

“It was a big meet,” said Sarah Hyska. “The wins encourage us to keep going.

“We have a really good team right now and reaching our potential.”

The Wolves also competed in the Highland Invite on January 9. City placed sixth out of eight teams, while DAC member Crown Point captured the title.

Hyska was part of the ninth place 200 medley relay team, which also consisted of Lizzie Quinlan, Hannah Tubbs, and Allyson Richards. Quinlan also placed fifth in the 200 freestyle.

City’s next meet is the Duneland Conference Championship at Crown Point High School on January 16. Swimming begins at 9:00. Sectional preliminaries are set for February 4 at Laporte High School, and finals are scheduled for February 6. Times for the sectional races are to be determined.

“Coach said these practices are the most important ones,” said Hyska. “Everyone is working hard to get their times for DAC and sectionals.”

Come out and support the Lady Wolves on January 27 at home against Highland High School. The meet is City’s Senior Night, and Seniors Lizzie Quinlan and Cece Latchford will be recognized and honored for their dedication to the sport.